A client asked today why his RAL Studio application got so big.
The reason was (this time) not my plugin, but RBScript. For Mac OS X Intel, the plugin adds 958 KB to your application. With REAL Studio 2010r3 and newer REAL Software switched to LLVM which increases the plugin size to 10.5 MB.
If you care for download size of your application and you need RBScript, you may want to keep with older version.
It's the same decision people do when they use REAL Studio versions before 2008r2 to build Windows applications to avoid the libs folder.
As you can read on AppleInsider, the PPC support seems to go away from Mac OS X 10.7. I don't expect Apple to ship Xcode with PPC support for Lion.
This means that once I move to Mac OS X 10.7 for developing plugins, I will drop PowerPC support. That will likely be as soon as the GM version is available (maybe two weeks before official launch). Whether Mac OS X 10.4 support has to end the same day, depends on whether I can configure compilers to output plugin libraries which still load on Tiger.
On Saturday 26th February, you can find the new magazine Mac & i on kiosks. As the magazine is in German, expect it only on places where you can buy German speaking newspapers and magazines. Included on this issue is a CD with 27 applications. And one of them is REAL Studio. You get a free personal edition license as well as a three month web edition demo license. A perfect gift for people who want to start with REAL Studio development.
I'm not affiliated with heise, but I think this is great: First to have a new Mac related magazine and second to have REAL Studio promoted.
see: c't special Mac & i ab sofort bestellbar
I got a notice that there are two Holiday Inns. Well, the one I'm staying it is the Holiday Inn in Frohnhauser Straße 6. The other Holiday Inn Express is located in Thea-Leymann-Straße 11. I think the express one is cheaper, but you have 200 meter more to walk to the conference.
There a list of hotels near our conference:
- Hotel Lindenhof, 250m
- Holiday Inn Essen City Centre Hotel, 350m
- Ambassador City Hotel, 400m.
- Hotel Zum Deutschen Haus, 450m
- Hotel Europa, 550m
- Hotel Korn, 600m
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel Essen, 700m
REAL Studio event in Osaka, March 26 (Saturday) 10:00 to 16:00, and Training Center, Osaka.
Take the chance (if you live in Japan or surrounding countries) to learn more about REAL Studio, the Web Edition and connect to developers in your area.
We host our websites with domainfactory and their hosting is climate neutral
That means they pay for climate certificates for projects which save the same amount of carbon dioxide as they produce for their hosting.
PS: Monkeybread Software itself runs with green power.
Location is the Unperfekthaus. The website can be switched to english, so take a look. We are in room 154 there and we may also have a dedicated extra room for extra sessions as well as reserved cafeteria area.
Next to the Unperfekthaus is the mall Limbecker Platz as well as the central shopping streets of Essen. There are a few central hotels nearby. My preference is the Holiday Inn Hotel Essen City Centre, but there are other good locations. You can easily walk from the main station to the conference location and this hotel.
We already got first registrations, so we know that people from four European countries will be there. With those visitors and three english only speakers on our list currently, we may turn to do everything in english. But we'll see.
Registration is open. Schedule should be only later this week: realsoftware.de/events/realcon2011essen
The Studio Stable Database Server is a database server for REAL Studio. It's written in REAL Studio itself and uses REALSQLDatabase on the server. So basically turning a server interface over SQLite and the same as REALserver was. But the backend as well as the interface is both written in REALbasic instead of C/C++.
Today I tested it. I can install my SQLite extension by simply copying the extension file into the extensions folder. Once that is done, I can use the SQL commands and enjoy my functions.
See this example code which connects to a local server and performs the UsernameMBS function:
Sub Open()More information here: studiostable.com/Database.
dim address as string = "127.0.0.1"
dim port as integer = 3100
dim applicationName as string = "TestApp"
dim password as string = "test" // this is the server password.
// connect to SSD Server
dim ssdb as new SSDatabase(address, port, applicationName, password, false)
if ssdb.Connect then
// run a function
dim r as SSRecordSet = ssdb.SQLSelect("select UserNameMBS()")
if r<>nil then
// show result of function
PS: There is a special offer available this week (until 27th February) for the license with source code. Maybe a good chance?
With source code you can modify the whole server to your needs.
REAL Studio Developer Magazine is having a special one-day sale. On President's Day (Monday, February 21, 2011), all orders over $25 are 20% off!
We're keeping this simple, with no gimmicks or absurd limitations. The 20% discount is valid for all our products: subscriptions, back issues, printed books, CDs, even renewals! For instance, it's a great way to pick up a copy of RBD Archive 8 at a big discount. But this coupon is only good on February 21, 2011, so hurry to take advantage of our President's Day sale!
To get the discount, just use the coupon code PREZDAY when placing your order on our store:
If you have any questions about this offer, please let me know.
REAL Studio Developer
see facebook.com. Still confusing. I tried 3 times to get a business account now and on the end I made a personal one...
You are welcome to add me as friend or like me
I also added events for the two REAL Studio conferences.
Who: Everyone interested in developing in REAL Studio
What: Monthly Meeting
Where: Ippolito's Restaurant, Sandy Springs, GA
When: February 21st, 2011 - 6pm to 9pm
Why: Talk about the latest news including the release of REAL Studio Web Edition!
As always, first pizza is on me!
Click here for a map to Ippolito's
(from Kevin Cully)
New in this prerelease of the 11.1 plugins:
- DynaPDF Plugin now compiled with DynaPDF 3.0. The API is nearly the same except some cleanup we made and a couple of new functions.
- Updated DynaPDF 2 Plugin to version dynapdf 184.108.40.2068. (DynaPDF 2 plugin is available as separated download.)
- Updated DynaPDF 3 Plugin to version dynapdf 220.127.116.11.
- Fixed RemoveWindowProxyIconMBS and WindowProxyIconFileMBS for Cocoa targets.
- Fixed crash in PhidgetManagerMBS destructor.
- Fixed WinLocalizationMBS properties to be now console safe.
- Added CloseForString and CreateForString to GZipFileMBS class.
- Added StrMBS function.
- Added BeginTransparencyLayer, BeginTransparencyLayerWithRect and EndTransparencyLayer to CGContextMBS class.
- Removed DynaPDFMissingFunctionExceptionMBS and DynaPDFErrorExceptionMBS classes. Please implement the error event like in our examples.
- Renamed DynapdfPDFAnnotationExMBS to DynaPDFAnnotationExMBS.
- Renamed DynapdfPDFChoiceValueMBS to DynaPDFChoiceValueMBS.
- Renamed DynapdfPDFFieldExMBS to DynaPDFFieldExMBS.
- Renamed DynapdfPDFFieldMBS to DynaPDFFieldMBS.
- Renamed DynapdfPDFNamedDestMBS to DynaPDFNamedDestMBS.
- Renamed DynapdfPDFStackMBS to DynaPDFStackMBS.
- Renamed DynapdfPDFSigParmsMBS to DynaPDFSigParmsMBS.
- Removed DynapdfPDFRectMBS. We now use only one rect class: DynaPDFRectMBS
- Added DynaPDFStackMBS Font property to return DynaPDFFontMBS object (instead of old IFont handle property).
- Changed SetFillColor and SetStrokeColor events in DynaPDFParseInterfaceMBS class to include the color space object.
- Added BeginLayer and EndLayer events to DynaPDFParseInterfaceMBS class.
- Added DynaPDFNamedDestMBS.DestFile property.
- Added DynaPDFErrorMBS class.
- Added DynaPDFRectMBS Constructor.
- Fixed DynaPDFFieldExMBS.BBox to return a DynaPDFRectMBS.
- Added Barcode and Signature properties to DynaPDFFieldExMBS class.
- Changed/Added a few properties on DynaPDFImageMBS class.
- Changed GetFontEx, GetField, GetFieldEx and GetColorSpaceObj to have index parameter in DynaPDFMBS class.
- Added GetInFieldCount, GetNamedDest and GetNamedDestCount to DynaPDFMBS class.
- Added DynaPDFBarcodeMBS class.
- Added DynaPDFSigDictMBS class.
- Removed IMixingHints and ProcessColorSpaceHandle from DynaPDFDeviceNAttributesMBS class.
- Changed DynaPDFDeviceNAttributesMBS.Separations to return DynaPDFColorSpaceMBS objects.
- Added DeviceNAttributes property to DynaPDFColorSpaceMBS class.
- Renamed Alternate in DynaPDFColorSpaceMBS class to AlternateType.
- Removed AlternateHandle property and added Alternate property to DynaPDFColorSpaceMBS class to get a colorspace object directly.
- Added DynaPDFMBS.HaveOpenPage.
- Added new constants for DynaPDFMBS: katMovieAnnot, katPrinterMark, katProjection, katRichMedia, katRichMediaExec, katScreen, katTrapNet, kcivCustom, kdfCrypt, kdiCreationDate, kdiModDate, kdiPDFX_Conf, kfaiUserDefined, kfpfImagesOnly, knaUserDef, ktoAnnots and ktoFields.
We are happy to announce that the beta tests of DynaPDF 3.0 start this weekend.
The new version offers a new, very robust and fully PDF 1.7, Extension Level 5 compatible PDF parser that is also able to repair damaged PDF files. In the today's world, with the huge amount of available PDF libraries, it is more and more important to be able to read damaged PDF files. Therefore, DynaPDF 3.0 contains now very powerful repair capabilities which are applied in background. Minor issues and repairs will be reported to the new error log.
The new PDF parser does not allocate large memory blocks and only compressed objects are hold in memory. In addition, it reads only required parts of a file to enable high performance access to single pages of very large PDF files. The access time to single pages does practically no longer depend on the file size. For example, the required processing time to extract one page from a PDF file that contains about 200.000 pages is now just a few milliseconds. DynaPDF 2.5 required about two minutes on a fast system, as long as the file did not already produce an out of memory exception!
Beside the new PDF parser DynaPDF 3.0 contains many improvements in detail such as support for images with an alpha channel, layer handling when parsing PDF files, better form handling, and, and, and...
With exception of two functions DynaPDF 3.0 is fully backward compatible. Your existing applications should work without changes in the source codes.
We are now already one months behind the originally planned release date and the current beta release does not yet contain the promised rendering capabilities. About four till six weeks development time are still required before the rendering functions can be released. So, the final release is now planned for April.
Please test your applications carefully with the new version and report ALL errors that you can find.
PS: Learn more about DynaPDF 3.0 on the REAL Studio conference in Essen, Germany...