If you come to the UK or you live there, please be sure to check those dates and see if you can join us:
Learn about Web, Desktop and Console Development, database usage and all the topics you asked in the group.
21st November 2013, from 9am to 5pm. Registration
The training will take place as we have enough registrations. Can can still join
On the evening, please join us for dinner and talk to other Xojo developers.
21st November 2013, from 6pm to maybe 10pm.
And 22nd November 2013 we have a conference. Your chance to meet people from UK and learn about new things, get connected and exchange ideas. See how other code their applications and get new ideas. Registration.
Did you see it?
This new release fixes a ton of thread issues, so we recommend you try it. Internally they changed the threading on Windows from fiber to full threads. While both are similar, some per thread things did not work well with fibers. I really hope this has no bad side effects, but I can imaging some plugin functions take advantage of the difference. Especially as in C you can have per thread variables which now will work properly.
For Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks there are little fixes with app nap and redrawing issues.
Xojo 2013r3.2 is a free update for existing Xojo users of version r3.
Please try our DynaPDF plugin functions for Xojo and FileMaker. Test them, add them to your app and if you need a license, please check again with us in two weeks.
In just five months you can come to Las Vegas, go to the Monte Carlo hotel, walk into the bar and find all the people from the community there. The Xojo team will be there and of course me as I signed up already.
The session list has been posted. Already 33 sessions and more to come. Especially as iOS target should be released by March, I expect them to add last minute a few related sessions.
Registration started for the Xojo Developer Conference 2014 in Monte Carlo Resort and Casino. So you can already take the chance to reserve your seat. Be sure to take advantage of the early bird offer: $750 until November, 30 2013. Regular price is $950.
The Xojo developer conference is the biggest event in the year for Xojo developers. Usually there are about 100 guests, but maybe this time a few more due to being in Las Vegas? See you there next year!
Before you download new versions of Keynote, Numbers or Pages, please make copies of the old versions.
Some features are missing in newer apps. And please if you miss something, write a bugreport to Apple to tell them that this is not okay.
I don't really want to use a Mac version of those apps reduced to the limited iOS feature set.
This tip works fine for FileMaker and Xojo. Even in FileMaker runtimes or Mac applications made with Xojo.
In the Terminal, you set the WebKitDeveloperExtras setting to true.
You can do this in Terminal like this:
for FileMaker 11:
defaults write com.filemaker.client.advanced WebKitDeveloperExtras -bool true
for FileMaker 12:
defaults write com.filemaker.client.advanced12 WebKitDeveloperExtras -bool true
for Xojo IDE:
defaults write com.xojo.xojo WebKitDeveloperExtras -bool true
or for other apps, simply use the their bundle identifier.
You may need to also enable debugging in Safari in the preferences.
And you can move the inspector to its own window to inspect the html structure even more easily as you see on the screenshot on the right side.
New in this prerelease of the 13.5 plugins:
- Updated DynaPDF to version 18.104.22.168.
New in this prerelease of the 13.5 plugins:
- Added methods for Mac OS X 10.9:
- Added TagNames/SetTagNames on folderitem class
- Added methods on NSUserNotificationMBS class.
- Added NSTimerMBS tolerance property.
- Added ABAddressBookMBS.kABSocialProfileServiceTencentWeibo
- Added new events for CLLocationManagerMBS class.
- Added new SKReceiptRefreshRequestMBS class.
- Added new NSMediaLibraryBrowserControllerMBS class.
- Updated DynaPDF to version 22.214.171.124.
- Fixed CURL on Windows to once again include SSL (broken in 13.4).
- Fixed bug in SHA1MBS.Result function.
- Changed ABAddressBookMBS to raise UnsupportedOperationException if addressbook is not available.
- Added iTunes Library classes.
- Fixed creashes with CGImageSourceMBS.Create functions.
- Added nine new Linux WebKit classes for better control of HTMLViewer.
- Added GMImageMBS.strip.
- Added OptionTLSAuthPassword, OptionTLSAuthType and OptionTLSAuthUsername to CURLMBS/CURLSMBS classes.
- Prepared plugins for Mac OS X 10.9.
- Deprecated InternetConfigMBS class and related classes.
- Changed QTMetadataItemMBS class to show properties in debugger.
- Added Listbox.InvalidateCellThreadSafeMBS.
- Added NSRunLoopMBS class.
- Added scrollview to NSTextViewControlMBS.
Actually we expected Mac OS X 10.9 to be released in the next days and not today.
But well, as Apple releases it soon, we will provide new plugins with new features later tonight.
if you build an app using some plugins on the Mac side for accessing Mac only frameworks, you may want to avoid those plugins being used on Windows. So for example if you build the "Show my entry" project, you get this list of DLLs in Libs folder for Windows:
Okay, that may be too much for this as all MBS plugins are used only for Mac here. Now we can put "#if TargetMacOS" around all method's code and the open event. But this has first only the effect that we save MBS_QTImporter_Plugin_18034.dll file. But to really save the DLLs, we also need to make sure there is no method left using the plugins.
One way to do this, is to put things in a module. Methods and properties in the module are removed before linking if they are not called. So if you have trydate/trylabel/trystring methods in a module and also the "a as ABAddressBookMBS" property, than the linker can remove those for Windows and you have no MBS DLL on Windows for this sample.
Second possible way is to use variant data type. If methods declare parameter as variant instead of ABPersonMBS or ABMultiValueMBS, than the linker doesn't see the reference there. Of course you may want to have your parameter declared in the #if now. So parameter is "vperson as variant" and after "#if TargetMacOS" you write "dim person as ABPersonMBS = vperson". This was the compiler on Linux or Windows only sees variants and not all those plugin class names.
Project files: showmyentry.zip
see also Reducing app size with #if
The OmegaBundle ends 15th October, so you have time over the weekend to think about if you need either the mini or the regular or both bundles.
The new Mac OS X version is coming soon. You probably read about all the features it has.
For our plugins, we are already looking into the developers tools for 10.9 and adding new features.
From the new features, we already prepared a few like file tags for both our Xojo and the FileMaker plugin.
If you have some wishes, please do not hesitate to ask us by email.
We'll post plugins with Mavericks features as soon as 10.9 is released.
Orderd 7th October, predicted with 4 to 5 weeks to delivery.
But I had a premier ticket so I got it today after just three days.
Thanks Deutsche Telekom and Apple
Just earlier today the Xojo 2013r3.1 release was announced.
This is a minor release with just 3 little fixes. I think the important one is the one I reported:
On a non English system like my German one, I could not save a new project in the version control project.
Once again I would be happy if Xojo Inc. hires an engineer in Europe, so they more quickly discover those bugs which only show on non-english systems.
We don't know the release date of OS X 10.9 Mavericks, but we expect there will be some fixes needed in our plugins and Xojo itself. So I am are looking forward to a Xojo release 3.2 or 4 with changes for Mavericks.
And finally please note that if your license expired between r3 and r3.1 you can still use the new version. For releases the original release date counts against your license expiration key.
NICKENICH, Germany (October 8th, 2013) -- Monkeybread Software releases version 13.4 of the MBS plug-in for Xojo and Real Studio.
The MBS plug-in comprises a collection of several plug-in parts which extend the Real Studio development environment with 1,800 classes featuring over 48,000 documented functions. Our plugins support all three platforms Mac OS X, Windows and Linux with all project types desktop, web and console.
Some of the highlights on the 13.4 update:
In this plugin we created a new encryption plugin to collect all our encryption function and add new one. We now have improved AES and Blowfish encryption classes. Our new OpenSSL module has functions to digitally sign data and later verify the signature. Also the new ECDHEMBS class helps with key agreement over a network.
New functions for colorspace handling improves reading and writing CMYK pictures with JPEG classes. We improved NSColorSpace and CGColorSpace classes with new properties and methods. Especially if you like to draw into a picture with right colorspace on Cocoa targets.
Improvements to RegExMBS class for regular expressions now allow to use more captures and query information about the compiled patterns. You can disassemble your pattern to debug it and list the named captures.
The GWorldMBS class is updated to create graphics environments in other pixel formats or with existing memory. New functions to copy pixels directly to memoryblock help with fast processing of images. In the same direction point our VLC improvements. You can more easily copy the current frame into a memoryblock.
Also we updated several libraries used by our plugins including a new DynaPDF version and updates for PCRE library.
See release notes for a complete list of changes. If you have questions, please don't hesitate to contact us.
Just updated the archives for the Dash application. Does the auto update work for you?
So here you can click to launch Dash and install our plugin help:
MBS Xojo Plugin and MBS FileMaker Plugin
Feedback is welcome.
New in this prerelease of the 13.4 plugins:
- Added new class for DirectShow plugin for format selection: DirectShowVideoStreamConfigCapsMBS, DirectShowAudioStreamConfigCapsMBS, DirectShowVideoInfoHeaderMBS, DirectShowVideoInfoHeader2MBS, DirectShowWaveFormatMBS, DirectShowMediaTypeMBS, DirectShowDVInfoMBS and DirectShowAMStreamConfigMBS.
- Removed Mac OS Classic only functions: GetFileAttributeMBS, IsFileOpenMBS and IsResourceForkOpenMBS.
- Fixed bug in EncodingToHTMLMBS with high unicode code points.
- Added rowSizeStyle and effectiveRowSizeStyle to NSTableViewMBS class.
- Added controls for some common Cocoa controls: NSSearchFieldControlMBS, NSTextFieldControlMBS, NSTextViewControlMBS, PDFThumbnailViewControlMBS and PDFViewControlMBS.
Dedicated controls can handle focus better. Please contact us if you need more events/properties.
Instead if Amsterdam city we thought it will be nicer at the beach in Zandvoort.
So if you like to join please email me.
We meet at around 6 pm outside the Best Western Palace Hotel Zandvoort at the beach promenade. From there we can go to one of those beach restaurants and have a great time together.
Recently we had the discussion where Xojo is going in the future. One way to learn that is to check the Feedback application for what's reported there. Within something like 30000 feedback cases, it's difficult to find something. But well, here are 20 scheduled cases. This means that each item has been assigned to an engineer and be scheduled to ship in one of the future releases of Xojo. Maybe interesting to know what Xojo engineers work on?
- 3215: Allow compilation using the command-line
- 3353: 64 bit Applications Support
- 3851: Viewing Custom Controls in WIndow Editor.
- 7836: [WEB] [Cocoa] Feature request: NSTableView support
- 9053: [IDESubmitted] Report: Group Header 'Repeat on New Page' Option
- 9054: [IDESubmitted] Report Option: Need field option for Supress Repeated Values
- 9205: [WEB] Report Feature Request: Margin Guides
- 9206: [WEB] Report Feature Request: Pagination Features
- 9433: Ability to build iOS (iPhone/iPad) applications
- 10311: Support HTTP 1.1
- 10701: Add ability to Export PDFs
- 12645: WebCheckBox doesn't support single control edit mode
- 13417: Need a WebComboBox
- 16046: Add WebStyledText class to support styling text (with links) for WebTextField, WebTextArea, WebLabel, WebButton, WebLink, etc.
- 16671: Support building desktop applications for OS X with LLVM
- 17424: WebMapViewer: Add Directions
- 18399: Make the HTMLViewer on Windows use the most recent version of Internet Explorer that is installed
- 18541: WebMoviePlayer Lacking Simple Stop Method
- 20384: Support Drag and Drop for web applications
- 22898: Need way to set WebListBox SelectedRow Color
- 24074: undeprecate REALPictureClearCache
Due to a spontaneous trip to the Netherlands, I can offer an evening event for Amsterdam in the next two days.
So is someone interested in meeting with Xojo and Real Studio developers?
The date is: 4th October 2013.
If you like to join, please send email, so I can reach you for the exact time and place. Suggestions are welcome.
New in this prerelease of the 13.4 plugins:
- Added GWorldMBS.CopyToMemory.
- Added copy and credential methods to NSURLCredentialMBS class.
- Added VLCMediaPlayerMBS.CopyToMemory method.
- Fixed an alignment bugs in data structures with DateDifferenceMBS class. You only saw it if you cross compile.
Nickenich, Germany (October 1st, 2013) -- Monkeybread Software releases version 1.1 of the MBS Xojo Web Starter Kit
The MBS Xojo (Real Studio) Web Starter Kit is a starting point for building your Web Applications with Real Studio or Xojo. Version 1.1 is a free update for our existing users.
Especially our new Web Signature Kit allows you to easily capture signatures on a tablet device with your web application. You can of course simply use it as a drawing area, too.
New in Version 1.1:
- Added Web Signature Kit project.
- Commented out Print commands. They are useful in standalone, but cause problems in cgi mode.
- Improved code to handle database. Now the app launches when no database is found.
- Added WebLoadBalancing example code.
- Added System Information page.
- Database Support including REALSQLDatabase, MySQLCommunityServer, CubeSQLServer and SQLDatabaseMBS. Other databases can be added easily.
- Simple User Management for Admins and normal users.
- Login Panel.
- Auto login, so people don't need to login each time.
- Allows logging to text file and database and displaying them.
- SQL Console with download of database and query result as CSV file.
- Session management for admin to see what users do..
- Chat Window.
- Creates Backup of database.
- Object browser and memory statistics.
- Messages for Admins to/from users.
- File Browser.
- Shows how to cache images/files to save memory.
- and much more...
You can use the Kit as a foundation of your new web application or simply copy the parts you need to your own web application. This Kit is the result of putting together all the goodies we developed in the last two years for various web applications. Things we believe everyone could need in their own solution. And of course in the next years, we will add more functions depending on user requests.